Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Skye

 Sky, when you think of sky do you think of the big, blue, mysterious space above your head? Do you think of the white, puffy clouds that drift by?, The birds that soar aimlessly?, and do you think the Sky is the limit? Well I’d like to say “Yeah that’s exactly what I think Sky is.” But when I think of Sky I think of those dreadful days wondering if you will ever live to see tomorrow. Three years ago events happened to the sky that changed my life forever. I wish I could forget that word forever. The only thing keeping me from forgetting it is my name. I hear that word everyday, every hour my name is Skye and I am writing this so that people will know the truth of what really happened those days.

          Event 1

Sunday 8:00pm 24 hours left
          Like any other dreadful Sunday. I had just finished doing the last of my homework. I went outside to watch the stars hoping I would see a shooting star to start off the week on a good end. I lay there flat on my back, right on my deck tilting my head toward the stars, just relaxing and watching the stars. (At that time I loved looking at the sky)  I could feel winter was coming. The air was crisp and cooler than it was yesterday, but comforting. I lay there thinking and planning out the upcoming week. Suddenly there was a shooting star. Then another one, and another. Then there had to be at least ten right in a straight line following the first three stars. That was really odd I thought. I had been coming out here every Sunday for two years and not once have I ever saw more than three shooting stars in one night. So seeing ten in a straight line was mind boggling. I didn’t think much of it at first but later I would find out that it would change my life forever…

Monday 7:00am 13 hours left
           I missed my bus because I woke up to late. By this time my parents have both left for work and so I wold have to ride my bike to school. By the time I would get to school I would miss my first class. The thought of just not going to school came into my head but immediately left my head because my parents wouldn’t be happy about me missing school. So I packed my bag for school and jumped on my bike. I started riding down my street trying to think of the quickest route to school when I noticed the sky looks very dark today. I stop and look up. I know that the sun is still rising, but the sky looked like it should be filled with dark rain clouds but the sky was empty and very blue. Shouldn’t that mean it should be really bright outside? It’s not. Then something seems even stranger the sky looks too blue and empty almost… fake? Oh, well I should really get to school. So I start riding again and just as soon as I start, I stop. Shouldn’t there be birds flying south for the winter? I look over the Horizon and nothing, nothing but blue emptiness. What is going on? I think to myself. I decide to turn around and ride to my mother’s work instead. (My mom is meteorologist so I thought she would know what to do.)…

Monday 8:00am 12 hours left
           It took me about an hour to get to my mom’s work which was in the next town over. Right when I walked into the door there was chaos everywhere. I had been to my mother’s work a couple of times but not enough to know where her office was. So I went to the main desk and there was no one there. I walk through the lobby and go down the hall all around me everyone is running around almost looking panicked. I look at all the doors and the nameplates on them and suddenly I am pushed and slammed against the wall. I look to my right and see a huge machine getting pushed in to the main room. Then I see she spotted me. She looked up right away I could tell she was angry at me for skipping school. She marched over to me and says.” SKYE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE! SHOULDN’T YOU BE AT SCHOOL?”
“I missed the bus and was on my way to school when I noticed that the sky, it was so-“
“Yeah the sky is very weird today we are trying to figure out what it is” My mom interrupted. “You should just go home. Its too late to go to school by the time you get there it would be half over so just go home and stay inside till I get there.”
I thought why I would have to stay inside. This must be something very serious.
So I ask,"Is everything alright? Should I stay here and help out-"
“No! Just go straight home and get inside!” My mom demanded. I have never seen my mom so flustered before…

Monday 3:00 pm 7 hours left
The whole day was pretty boring I actually started to regret skipping school. My day consisting of me sitting in my bedroom listening to music lying on my bed reading some magazines, I also watched a movie that a friend said I should watch. It was some old, dumb sci-fi movie about aliens invading earth. Like that could really happen. (I Thought.)  I was just finishing up organizing my magazines when the phone rang. It was my Mom so I picked it up and said,” hey, Mom how’s everything going over there?”
“I need you to listen carefully and follow my orders okay? We are under attack. By “we” I mean Earth. We don’t know what or when but I need you to get to safety we are calling everyone to the giant auditorium in downtown so I need you to get a ride with one of your friends and I will see you there. Oh no! Got to go!”
And I was disconnected…

Monday 8:01 pm 59 minutes left
          Things didn’t go as planned. On my way over to downtown I got a ride with my neighbors (they were really old, always bickering over everything. and never seemed to get my name right.)  While they were fighting over what type of vegetable they should plantin their garden when, something can hurtling toward us from out of the sky and crashed right in front of the car. They didn’t notice so I jumped to the front and took hold of the wheel and swiveled around it. Then the car came to an abrupt stop. I went flying through the windshield. I hit the ground with a thump and a sharp pain went up my arm and another sharp pain went up my leg. Blood trickled down the side of my face. My whole body hurt. I was afraid to move. So I lay there for a while. When suddenly I am lifted and carried into a building. Everything goes black…

Event 2

Tuesday 1:00am 12 hours left
          I had figured out that Earth was under attack by aliens, That the building I was in, was one of three that the survivors from the first big explosion were in, we had to travel to the ship that would take us to a new planet, and my parents might be dead. We had to travel in packs of five and travel to the ship in downtown. We were lucky because we were the closest of the three to the ship. My pack was all middle-aged adults. The “teen packs” left earlier when I was just arriving. There was one other Girl who was in my group and was waiting to leave. I recognized from school I couldn’t recognize which class. I knew her name which was Mia. While we were waiting for our turn to travel we talked about what the ship might look like…

Tuesday 6:00am 7 hours left
          We had arrived at the ship and put into floor levels. Each level had a certain range of ages. (9-13, 14-18, 19-25, 26-40, 41-49, and 60-over anyone younger than 9 would stay with their parents.) I was put on level 2 the 14-18 year olds.
          When my group arrived we were all separated except for me and Mia ( we were the same age) We both had to sign in and were put in the same room number. We were brought down this long hallway with tons of doors along the sides. Finally at the end of the hall was our names. Mia opened the door and inside was two beds, a bathroom, two closets, and a kitchen. It looked pretty much like a hotel room. We settled in and found that we had no other clothes besides the ones we have on so we search the closets. What we find are uniforms. They were horrendous you had a choice between gray jumpsuit, gray skirt and white blouse, and gray sweat suit all with two pink strips running down the sides…

Tuesday 12:00pm 1 hour left
          After showering and changing into the uniform I decided to find out if my parents were alive. I went to the main level with Mia. We waited inline with a bunch of other people who were wondering if any relatives made it or not. We waited and waited and finally our turn. The front desk person gave me a packet of names who are not  here on the ship and I searched through until I got to my last name’s last letter “s” and there was what I had never wanted to see..

                                       
          I had lost my mom and dad that day. I had also lost My home planet the place where I grew up. Those events are always being told to the younger ones none of them are the truth. Those moments when the sky opened up and aliens attacked changed my life forever and I did nothing to stop it. Everyday I regret not staying with my mom and regret not talking to my dad that much. You will never know what you got till it’s gone. This story is probably just going to get lost and thrown away but in my heart I know I had also gained something that day. I gained a friend, a new home, and a new future. My name is Skye, not like the big, blue space above your head, or the what the birds soar through, but the name  Skye. Just Skye.

3 comments:

  1. 1. The conflict of the story was wondering what was wrong with the sky. external, it was not resolved it just happeded that aliens attacked.
    2.The main character learns that there really was something wrong with the sky. she learned to cherish every moment before its too late.
    3.My favorite part was when you explained to chaos in the office of the mom's work."I walk through the lobby and go down the hall all around me everyone is running around almost looking panicked. I look at all the doors and the nameplates on them and suddenly I am pushed and slammed against the wall."
    4.The tales best quality was the explanations of everything.
    5.Storys theme is about how you should never take anyhting for granted.
    6.I dont think you need to revise anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2.The main character learns that there really was something wrong with the sky. She learned to make every moment joyful and great before its too late.

    3.My favorite part was when you explained to Chaos in the office of the mom's work."I walk through the lobby and go down the hall all around me everyone is running around almost looking panicked. I look at all the doors and the nameplates on them and suddenly I am pushed and slammed against the wall."

    4.The story's best qualities is how she discribes all of the details.

    5.I think that the story's theme is about how you should never take anything for granted and make every moment of your life great.

    6.I don't think you need to revise anything. Because the story is great and very believable. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conflict of the story was that something was wrong not just with the sky in earth too and nobody tell to the main character what is going on?
    Yes the character change over time at first he is just a normal child and then he when he goes to her mom's work he notice that something it is happen and it is that the aliens are attacking the earth.
    My favorite part it was he was getting a ride from his neighbors and they were fighting and the he needs to take the wheel .That was part of the rising action.My favorite line was "On my way over to downtown I got a ride with my neighbors (they were really old, always bickering over everything. and never seemed to get my name right.)"
    i think it was that even do it looks like you lose everything you always have someone with you.
    I think it was perfect and there is nothing to change.

    ReplyDelete